How to add a phone number to your Steam account?
Everyone in the gaming industry knows that the gaming service Steam, which Valve owned, continuously develops advanced security systems to protect their user's accounts. It implemented a security feature called Guard Mobile Authenticator, a sort of two-factor authentication that goes beyond traditional username/password protection, safeguarding accounts from the likes of hacking, identity theft, and so forth.
If you haven't invested a massive amount of money into your Steam cabinet, you might not be willing to use this security feature if you don't purchase expensive games or gaming items. But if you have heavily invested in your Steam page, you'd better protect it using all possible methods.
Steam security policy
Valve understands the importance of helping people with protecting their privacy. Safe services and products guarantee a seamless gaming experience, and in return, this thing adds to the company's credibility. Valve encourages its users to report on any vulnerability they could find in the platform or its products. There's a particular program in place called HackerOne. The company also provides various guides on securing accounts alongside different security features for its apps and website.
Guard Mobile is an additional layer to secure accounts in this service. This mechanism uses a code that changes every 30 seconds. That's the one-off thing that other people won't be able to find out.
According to the service's advice, users should attach phone mobile numbers to their accounts in the system, and in case you forget your password, it'll be easier to reset it using a phone.
It isn't necessary to connect phones to the internet, but there should be a correct time set on your device.
Adding a phone mobile number to Steam account
This security feature allows you to access your cabinet quickly, should you lose it. And it's not superfluous given the number of accounts being stolen these days. The feature makes it possible to renew access to the accounts via SMS or migrating to other mobile devices.
How to manage phone settings in the account
- Log in to your Steam (via app or browser) and then navigate your profile at the upper right-hand corner.
- Click Account Details.
- Click the Contact Info tab, then click Add a phone number. In case you've already added a phone, there'll be a Manage your phone message displayed.
- Type your number and click Next. Afterward, the company will send you an SMS with the Steam confirmation code inside.
- Then copy that number to your cabinet to confirm your identity. It's as simple as that.
There are such options as recovering the passport or migrating to a new mobile phone using an SMS message are available as well.
From now on, if you want to log in, you'll have to use a secret code enabling additional verification. You may choose the way of getting it – either via email or messages in your app.
Note: you may add only one mobile phone numb to the cabinet since adding multiple numbs is not permitted.
But at the same time, you can use your phone number for managing multiple pages and enable the Steam Guard feature for them. Just log into each account in the Seam client.
How to use the Steam Guard feature?
All configurations are made on mobile apps, iOS, Android, the app for Windows Phone is also available, but rare people would use Windows Phone devices these days.
- After installing the app and entering your cabinet, select Steam Guard at the app's top corner.
- Then, select Add Authenticator to set up this feature. After that, you'll have to enter your phone numb and confirm it via SMS.
- After entering the Steam verification code text, you get a Recovery code. Save it at some safe place to use it further, just in case. Don't ignore this step.
- Once you've enabled the mobile authenticator, you'll be able to use this feature. Every time you sign in to your Steam account, you'll need to enter the code after typing your login and password.
To save your page from hackers, try to protect it to the full. And first of all, avoid sharing these Seam Guard codes with anyone else.
Cybercriminals are known for scamming and phishing user's data. They could try to sell already used game keys or ask to borrow expensive game items. Avoid contacting dubious people.
Don't click links in messages from so-called "support services." Conmen can offer fake giveaways promising expensive prizes. Check the information you get for authenticity. Ignore any freebies. If it's free, it could also be a trap. Don't install third-party game extensions.
Don't use cheating apps; otherwise, it could potentially end up with VAC banning your page. And often, using such things doesn't result in an advantage, but your computer gets infected instead.
How to create a Steam account using a virtual mobile phone number to verify it
Creating a Steam account goes before entering a game code. After that, you'll be enjoying hours of fun. You can register a personal page on the Steam website or in the app.
Registering a new cabinet on the website
- Click Join Steam.
- Enter your email address and country of residence, confirm that you are 13 years old or older, and click Continue. Then, wait until your address is verified.
- Verify your address by clicking the link in the email you received.
- Then, having registered your account in Stream, you'll be able to enter Steam client. Install it if you haven't done it yet.
Registering a new account using the Steam client
- Run your Steam program installed on your computer. Then, click Create a new account.
- If you see the warning saying you should not register multiple accounts, click Next.
- Create a catchy nickname for your cabinet and enter it. If the nickname you chose is already in use, you'll be notified that you should choose some other name. After that, create a complicated password and enter it.
- Type your email address, which Steam will use to contact you. After that, you will be offered to choose a secret question from the dropdown list.
- Click Finish at the end.
Verifying your steam account with a virtual mobile phone number
You don't necessarily have to add your number to your Steam account. Using the Onlinesim service, you can receive Steam verifying login information via your Steam mobile confirmation. With new temporary phone numbs added every day, everyone can prove personal Steam. There are free one-off phone numbs available, or otherwise, you can choose the option of renting your long-term personal number.
- When registering in Onlinesim, you need to enter your email address and password without a confirmation email.
- This service enables private registration on any online service, including Seam. Just copy a steam verification code text you received in the account and paste it on the service's registration page.
Virtual numbs allow you to register without a physical SIM-card. They are not connected to any physical phone because Onlinesim uses proprietary hardware and software to receive messages. It's an efficient SMS receiving solution that uses phone numbs of various countries, 38 to be exact.
Using virtual numbs, you won't need to register your private phone number in any service – be it Facebook, Twitter, or Steam.
By the way, the Onlinesim website is easy to use; it's pretty intuitive. No-one else will get access to your page because other users don't have access to your Steam confirmation code.
Onlinesim offers short-term phone number rent. This service plan gives you a virtual phone number for some time, from 10 minutes to one hour, depending on the particular country in question. During that period, you get an unlimited number of SMS messages, and only from the exact website or mobile app you've selected.
Long-term number rent allows you to get a confirmation code from any website, including Steam verification codes. In case you don't contact your message via a selected phone number, you can get another phone numb after deleting the previous one. It's free.
You can test SMS activation using temporary numbs at the specified section on the Onlinesim website. Those are free disposable ones, and because of that, other users might have already used some of those numbs for popular web-services. But Onlinesim updates its free number list every day.
So, if you need a phone number for Steam account, use one from Onilnesim. You can quickly add your mobile phone to the cabinet on this gaming platform. It ticks all the boxes in terms of receiving Steam SMS codes.